vvvvhat happened in September 2023October 5, 2023
Some of the things we’ve been working on for a while are now available as previews:
- Latest previews are shipping with a new pack: VL.IO.Redis. Check out the helppatches, it is a really simple node-set so far and allows you to talk to a Redis database. Requires some setup but is probably the fastest way to share data in bigger installations
- VL.CEF.Stride and VL.CEF.Skia have been updated to use Chromium 103, which increases the number of websites it will render correctly. Note that videos using proprietary codecs will not play, see the VL.CEF Troubleshooting section
- We now have an official pack out to support ZED cameras by Stereolabs (includes Skeleton tracking!). See VL.Devices.ZED
- BREAKING CHANGE: The VL.Video.MediaFoundation package shipping with vvvv is no more. It’s been renamed to VL.Video. Essentially we got rid of the backend-specific duplication of the nodes. This means you’ll see red nodes that you can simply double click and replace with the new (non-backend specific) node. To now apply the video to either Skia or Stride you’ll have to add either a
VideoSourceToTexturenode. For all details, see the Change Log
Further we’ve been progressing on:
- Remoter 2.0, a standalone tool allowing you to start/kill applications on and mirror assets to a range of client PCs at the click of a button
- A complete solution app Configuration and Logging
- Easy server/client render clusters (aka. “boygrouping”)
- Support for OSCQuery
- Support for Scalable Display projector auto-alignment
- The next vvvv beginner class is starting on Oktober 16th
- Intermediate level workshop for this winter semester are currently in the planning stage
Many thanks to those of you who help complete vvvv with countless additions! For an overview of libraries available for vvvv start here.
We have new NuGets:
We received updates to the following:
- VL.Devices.Kinect (now works with vvvv gamma 5.x)
- VL.Addons <- includes TextureFX!
- VL.CEF.Stride (updated to Chromium 103)
- VL.CEF.Skia (updated to Chromium 103)
- VL.IO.TUIO (adds 2.5d and 3d profiles)
Plus a new entry in the forum’s work-in-progress section:
This years Ars Electronica festival in Linz saw quite some projects realized with vvvv. Here is a review of vvvvorks shown at Ars Electronica 2023.
- Always keep an eye on the vvvv job board
- There are often some more on The Interactive & Immersive Job Board and dasauge.de
- If you need a vvvv specialist or are one yourself, check out this listing of vvvv specialists available for hire
That was it for September. Anything to add? Please do so in the comments!